1. RESPOND to those who say that "liberals and lower 48ers don't understand that wolves are opportunistic killers that must be stopped" -The following video blasts Palin's justifications for Alaska's current aerial wolf hunting program.
Using testimony from Alaska Department of Fish & Game staff, a master hunting guide, and Board of Game members, the video exposes the fallacy behind Governor Sarah Palin's claim that predator control is based on sound science and is for the benefit of subsistence hunters. Sport and trophy hunters take up to 73% of prey in areas where aerial wolf hunting has taken place. Five years in the making, this video exposes the truth about the stranglehold the hunting lobby has on wildlife management in Alaska.
A shorter version of the video can be seen here: http://current.com/items/88820228/end_aerial_wolf_hunting_short_version.htm
Trophy hunt prices in Alaska, provided by Palingates website:
Day hunt for a single species:
Moose $10,500, Grizzly Bear $8,500, Brown Bear $12,500
Combination hunts (add the species above to the species price below)
Black bear $2,500, Wolf $750
Trophy Fee on Grizzly Bear $9,750, Moose $9,450, Caribou $6,800.
These prices are in addition to the $19,500 all inclusive fees (licenses, air charter, G.S.T. and meat flight) for the hunt.
2. MAKE A PHONE CALL - it's easy, you do it every day, all the time. Dial the US Fish & Wildlife Service & comment on the de-listing of the Grey Wolf from the Endangered Species Act, decry the "collateral damage" to brown bears that will occur because Alaska has decided to kill 60% of the population of black bears. Mention the fisheries crises and overfishing which hurts rural village food supplies, mention that Beluga Whales in Cook Inlet need protection from Palin's toxic dumping and drilling policies. CALL the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service M-F 8am - 8pm at 1-800-344-9453, select option “3” (for endangered species) and hit “0” to speak with the operator. Make your voice heard. Now is the time, not later. Pass this number on. Ask at least one good friend or love of your life who otherwise wouldn't think of it to call as a favor to you.
3. EMAIL SARAH PALIN! She wants to hear your opinions, so tell her what you think. Don't insult her, just try to get Palin's Jihad called off.
4. READ ON - be armed with facts, so that reasonable discourse may take place with friends, relatives and co-workers who feel differently about the issue or don't care.
5. WRITE IN!
Start here and write to your lawmaker or representative your thoughts and comments on Palin's Jihad. Defenders of Wildlife has it all set up:
While you are there, explore the site and write in on other wildlife issues.
4. WATCH AND SEND THIS video to anybody who still doesn't know about this issue:
Palin's Toxic Billions and Belugas
Who will defend Alaska’s beleaguered wildlife? That’s the mission of the Alaska Wildlife Alliance. But we can’t fulfill our mission without your help - we are in this together!http://www.akwildlife.org/
6. BECOME AN ACTIVIST, START A PROTEST, OR MEET WITH AN OFFICIAL, WRITE AN EDITORIAL...
Click here to get started___________________________
7. ADOPT A POLAR BEAR Right Here
Yes, the polar bears still really need all of us to care enough to protect them from trophy hunting, drilling and loss of their habitat.
- Stop Congress from handing the sanctuary of America's vanishing polar bears over to Big Oil and fight for permanent protection for the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge by passing the Udall-Eisenhower Wilderness Act.
- Pass the Global Warming Wildlife Survival Act to help polar bears survive the impacts of climate change.
- Fight Safari Club International in court to prevent wealthy hunters from killing Canadian polar bears and bringing their heads, paws and furs back to the U.S. as trophies.
8. COMMENT! Please leave further info here on letter writing campaigns, protests, websites, anything that you hear about that takes direct action of some kind against Palin's Jihad.